Can't Trust That Day

How did your Monday start? It's 9:36, and mine has already been an entire Monday.
My boss is out of town this week. Wait, I feel like most of you don't know I have a job, so I'll paint a brief picture.
4 years ago I started working for a friend of mine who owns her own billing company. She does all the billing for a pediatric doctor's office. Initially, my only task was to call people and make sure they knew about the balance on their account ("Did you receive the 3 to 4 statements and respond to the front desk every time you took your kid in and they reminded you about the balance? Great. We need that money."). Over time, I've taken on more responsibility, and when she goes out of town, all phone calls to the billing office roll over to my phone. She's currently in Hawaii for the next week and a half, so my laptop will live on my kitchen counter, where I can easily access it when I get a call. I'm delighted to help her, I genuinely am. I don't know many people that hustle harder than she does. If anyone deserves a week and a half in Hawaii (it's not JUST for fun, her daughter is graduating from college), it's her. However, when she goes out of town, there is a layer of guilt and stress which adds itself to my life. I get stressed that I'll be away from home, or caught up working out, or vacuuming, or who knows what, then someone will call, and it will have to go to voicemail. THEN I'll feel guilty that I'm letting her down. I'm really not. The billing office is in her house, and she is in and out of her house all day long, so she misses calls too and has to return voicemails. It's just the way it is. So why do I continue to feel a little stressed and a little guilt? Because I'm Sandi, probably. ANYWAY.
Here it was, 15 minutes to 9 (the time when calls start coming through), and my computer is like "hey! let's do that super long update right now!" And I was like "AH! NO!" But then no one has called in the past 45 minutes so it was fine (also, I feel like I'm painting a false picture of just how many calls come through. There are days when I will get 5-10. Those are once in a blue moon. Most of the time, I'll get 2-3 between the hours of 9 and 5. I'm ridiculous, I know).
I'm digressing.
This post isn't even about my job.
It was about the time I got things technologically situated, and I was FINALLY able to pay attention to the breakfast I was trying to make (I'd had raw eggs, mixed with shredded cheese, sitting in a bowl, ready to be scrambled, and the makings of a smoothie in the Magic Bullet, ready to be liquified, for about 15 minutes, but, you know, life), when Erin came running into the kitchen saying "Mom! The toilet won't flush!"
Now, the details of what happened before she came running in are a little hazy. But here's what I imagine happened:

-She flushed the toilet, as per usual.
-She washed her hands.
-She realized the toilet wasn't doing it's normal routine.
-She opened it, and upon seeing the water rising, decided to see how far it would rise.
-She shut it when she realized it was about to overflow.
-She notified the proper authorities.

Hindsight is 20/20. I should've surrounded the floor of the toilet with towels before plunging. But for WHATEVER reason, I thought "Oh, one plunge and we'll be good to go."

I think what happened was, I got cocky. Erin slept in this morning, and while she slept, I got all the dishes done, and the load of towels in the washer. When I moved them into the dryer, I thought to myself "It's not even 9 AM, and you're nearly done with today's laundry!" (I only do one load of laundry a day. I used to do all of it in one day, but that's ridiculous in my life now)(Also, if you're thinking "you only do ONE LOAD OF LAUNDRY A DAY?!" I would remind you that there are only 3 humans in this house, so we can get away with it. Anyway). Scene change to me dragging the 'old, dirty towels basket' into the living room, so I can mop up alllllll the toilet water on the bathroom floor, and start another load of towels.
I steam mopped that bathroom floor within an inch of its life.

Moral of the story, don't get cocky about laundry. It's the first step on a slippery slope.

I just realized I've written only a handful of posts here, and this is the second one about towels. It makes me feel like I'm getting my groove back.

Happy Monday Monday.

Comments